It looks like normal stylish eyeglasses, but it is not normal. Google has come up with a hands free device that can be used as a wearable computing system known as Google Glass or Project Glass. Google has introduced the optical head mounted display in the Google Glass that displays the information in the manner of a Smartphone and has natural language voice command support. This hands free device is big achievement from Google and yet this product went out to be failure in the tech world. Why? To understand that we will have to go through the specifications of the Google Glass first.
Google Glass Specs
This product from Google has a great design with adjustable nose-pads and a durable frame that can fit well in any face. On the side of the Google Glass there is touchpad that allows you to control the device. The display is equivalent to a 25 inch HD screen with a resolution of 640×360 pixels. Google has added a 5 MP camera that is capable of 720p video recording. Now coming on to the voice activation, a tap in the touchpad and say “Ok Glass” then the voice commanding is activated and the Google glass will perform the action you command. A 1 GB RAM is present along with a 16 GB internal memory out of which 12 GB is available to the user. A dual core processor enables good performance and the Google Glass runs on Android 4.0.4. The connectivity features include Wi-Fi 802.11b/g, Bluetooth and micro USB. Google has added a 2.1 Mah Lithium Polymer battery to the Google Glass and there are certainly some rumors regarding its price. But Google tells that they will offer the Google Glass for a price ranging from around $300.
Causes of failure
- As Google explains that they have provided each and everything that can make your life easy there are certainly some ugly truth about the Google Glass that compels it to go below the standards.
- The above mentioned 25 inch HD screen is very poor in bright light. Hence seeing the display in bright sunlight proves out to be a big problem.
- The big HD screen that is right in front of your eyes may become inconvenient in most of the cases. Looking through the screen for a long time can give you a serious headache or vision problem.
- The Google glass does not allow you to get quick access to settings and adjustments. You cant adjust the brightness level or volume at emergency situations.
- As the Google Glass does not possess an inbuilt cellular data connection, you will need to pair it with a smartphone that has data connection when outdoors.
- Battery life is not good. As this smart glass from Google functions all day the estimated battery life is only between 3 to 4 hours which is very insufficient.
- And finally most experts opinions tells us that the Google Glass is not up to the standards considering its price range. you can enjoy a much good and overall experience in a smartphone of the same price range.
There is not much to talk or discuss about the Google Glass regarding its advantages or disadvantages while the response from the people and tech lovers itself tells us the whole story. As Google proudly reveals that the Google Glass is a giant leap in the world of technology, which is to a greater extent true, the Google Glass is certainly a failure regarding its day to day performance and convenience to the user.